Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Summer time. Loud noises. Getting on the nerves of parents and neighbors? Nope, because this Summer my friends and I took a trip down memory lane to our local music festival. What better time than the warm, hazy days of Summer to hear some tunes; standing out in the snow or cold rain wouldn't be fun.
So when my good friend Dani called me and excitedly told me about a big music festival in our area, naturally, our conversation quickly turned to making plans to check it out. Dani is  a huge fan: she's the girl who knows who's headlining every festival a year before it happens.
Well, it wasn't exactly in our area and the ticket prices for these big events ain't exactly cheap. That's why we roped in our friend Denise and her boyfriend, whose very cool custom van seemed up to the task at hand. You see, the festival was for more than one day and we needed a place to crash. Sure we brought along a tent or two, but, being good friends and all, bunking together in the van wasn't out of the question. Call it a slumber party for the college set.
Blasting off from the big D, the tunes blasting from the van's ole CD player all the way - on the highway of course, not too many house along there, and don't want to annoy the neighbors remember - the trip wasn't half bad., no, it was excellent. Steve didn't bring his motorcycle this time so we rode together in Denise's boyfriend's van, a perfect opportunity for some friendly bonding. Besides, I'm not sure how comfortable a 200 mile trip on the back of a Ducati would be.
So, here's a photo in the parking lot, actually, not sure it was THE parking lot, just where we ended up parking.


Being Summer time, I picked this outfit: a light and airy jumpsuit, huge wide, cutout hippy belt, fringed PU hippy bag (it's in the other photos), a wide brim festival hat, I guess you'd call it, to keep unwanted rays off, totally groovy heart shaped sunglasses, and one concession to the rock lifestyle: thigh high platform boots. They aren't all that bad since they have these cool flower cutouts along the sides and the heels are fairly wide and not that slopeish. If you look closely you can see them peeking through the jumpsuit's pant leg parts.
You might notice a change somewhere, yep, decided a strawberry blonde was good to go for Summer. You know what they say, blondes have more fun, which is what I was about to find out the truth of.
We left Detroit very early in the morning, more like night time, because we didn't want to miss that afternoon's shows. After the first couple sets, I managed to convince Steve to go with me to try and finagle a way back stage. Now, I'm not exactly the girl who decorates my room with neon wristbands and all access passes, though I do have some prior groupie experience. Surprisingly, it didn't take any special considerations to get backstage, we just walked on through a gate.
Now, we're back stage, partying with some of the artists, and I don't know what Steve was drinking but he obviously had too much of it, because he started getting sick. One of the rock stars I was talking to turned to me: "Is that your boyfriend puking over there?" Awkward. What was I going to say? Here's my big chance, didn't want something to blow it, yet, I care for Steve.
Discretion got the better of honor, so, me, disappointed and embarrassed: "Yep, that's him..."
Me, changing the subject, "Say is that your tour bus over there? I've never been in one of those, do you think you could, you know, take me on a little tour?"
Which was true, up until the point where the guys said yes and we piled into their bus, away from puking Steve. Not exactly the magic bus, but let me tell you baby, this baby was swank. Fully loaded to the gills.
Hanging out with the musicians in their hip bus, I started feeling dizzy. Couldn't tell if it was the sun, being up all night, then standing all day in a big crowd, the excitement of being back stage, no, it was something else: one of the guys, I think he was a member of their crew, told me he'd slipped a mickey into my drink. Yep, it was nice of him to be honest, but this was the first time I ever used drugs. Feeling, well, high? I guess you'd call it? Had some problems with the jumpsuit: the darn thing wouldn't stay up. Felt like asking the guys to adjust the straps though they had an idea that seemed better to them: the extra stuff in my drink combined with the guys increased curiosity about what was under my see through jumpsuit, and pretty soon I decided to show them. No, it was not a date rape drug, and no, just me and my boots was not exactly part of the plan, it just felt right under the circumstances. Sorry Steve.
After my little, yet peculiar sojourn, I met up with Steve in Denise's boyfriend's van. I knew Steve would be there. I figured he'd beat a hasty, embarrassed, yet circumspect retreat, and where else could he go? Nursing Steve back to health occupied the better part of the day, but hey, that's the rock and roll lifestyle right?
Steve missed a big part of the next day's events and his true gentlemanishness showed through when he told me to go on ahead. wasn't as exciting as the day before, the tour bus I and the rock band and company had come to know so well, had left for greened pastures, greener groupies, I'd bet.
I wasn't expecting to be invited on a "little tour" as I called it, not sure what I'd say if asked, though still, watching that day's performances from afar, I felt, well, a little misty eyed.
Steve eventually joined us in the evening, feeling much better. And that's all folks: the shows came to an end and we had another fun drive that evening back to Detroit.
Well, here's hoping you're having a fun filled Summer
enjoying the tunes, wherever they are, of your choice.
Don't forget to check here again for more exciting fashion adventures, good stuff is coming up.
Catchya later.
Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment