Friday, January 22, 2016

Well, it's that time of year here in Detroit. A show about what made Detroit famous. I'm not talking about a new movie from Eminem, although his Eight Mile Road had a little bit to do with it. I'm talking about the the Detroit Auto Show, or as it's known now, the North American International Auto Show. I prefer the old name , though North American, now encompassing a whole continent and not just a city, shows how important it is.
Now, since this is a fashion blog, what we're going to focus on primarily is the fashion side of the auto show. You're thinking to yourself, what's this girl Naomi talking about? Fashion at the auto show? Yep, and today's focus is going to be something every girl in Detroit, or at least it seems like every girl, aspires to become: a car girl. It's just a regional word for something many Detroit high school girls aspire to be one day, it's like winning the Miss America or Miss Universe pageant or being featured on the cover of Vogue. I bet you're about to blurt out: Naomi, what is a car girl for God's sake? Well, you might have seen photos of car girls because they're all over the internet...OK, I'll cut to the chase: those women modeling at auto shows are car girls! You've seen photos of them standing beside the latest offerings from the world's auto makers. They are always dressed so chicly and I'm going to give you a look at their style today - besides a few tidbits about 2017's new models. See, there is connection between fashion and cars: at fashion shows next season's clothes are displayed, at auto shows, next year's cars are displayed. The Detroit show is the first major auto show of the year in the whole world so what you're going to get here is the very first look at 2017 cars. I know a little bit about the auto industry, being the daughter of an auto company boss, and having an ex boyfriend - yep, broke up with buddy, more about that later - whose father is an auto company boss too, you get to know something about cars. And, I am happy to announce, I was shown the road to become a car girl myself. That's right! Look for a future post of me modeling at the Detroit show! My dream finally came true.
Now, let's get started. I decided to drop by the show to scope out my future job sight and get some material for this blog. Had to take a little time off from school, yeah, schools back in session. And speaking of which here's a photo of a car from my own dear school, MSU, that was at last year's show:
It's a solar car. If you go to college and/or like the tech stuff you know what this thing is about. If not, here's the scoop: it's a car built for competitions to test the feasibility of solar power. Not designed for open roads, this photo has no car girls in it as well. These next photos do:

 You're looking at three girls posing next to Audi's projected offerings. They're sporting the bodycon LBD look. Judging from the top photo, I'd say they are their own dresses. Sometimes car girls wear their own clothes, other times they are provided with an outfit. Note the relatively low heels; important if you have to stand around all day. Even though the two models at the top, their shoes look similar, they are actually different brands. I better write that these are not my own photos: they're way better than what I could do with my cell phone or my cheap Ebay digital camera. As a matter of fact, I did not see a single car girl while I was at the show. I guess I'll just have to use these photos for a guide. And here are a few more photos:

You would think the hotter the car, the hotter the girl's outfit would be, though that isn't always the case and it depends on what you think is hot. So, what we've got here is a woman in a bodycon pu dress beside a Jeep Cherokee and a model in a grey bodycon lace dress next to a Maserati. There had to be some input from the car companies' art director's  because you undoubtedly noticed the color coordination between the model's dresses and the car's color. The PU bodycon dress' color looks a little off and the other model's grey lace dress seems a little dark for her Maserati. What can you do, a silver lame dress might be a little too much even for Maserati. Which brings us to this photo:
Here are two models in matching grey Pu bodycon racer jumpsuits. They look all business, though their ankle booties tell a different story. Obviously, there was some prep work to get this look right; what's the chance of two models showing up in 100% matching outfits, zero right? Not sure if there's any fashion to be dredged from this photo, seems a little to movie wardrobeish. OK, now take a look at this:
I've heard some of these car companies, especially Italian ones, publish their own calendars with car girls in them, and make and sell their own clothes. I believe it from this photo, that model's PU jumpsuit has Fiat written all over it, literally. Nice pair of semi platform boots. She must be awfully small because her Fiat looks so huge. Fiat might be making a big sales mistake trying to sell such small cars in the US, I wouldn't buy one. And here are some photos of cars I couldn't buy because of expense alone:


 
 The old Dodge Viper. I think this version is one of those limited edition custom jobs, not just the gazillion dollar price tag of the stock model but something even more expensive. Model is wearing a mini dress, non bodycon, and a pair of knee boots can't see the rest though. OK, next:
Another Viper, and another very expensive custom version. Here the car girl is wearing a PU mini with sheer panels. Well, it looks like I've run out of Vipers so moving on:
Here's something much cheaper: a Toyota, hey! Let's go places! It looks like the car girl is about to say that. Can't see much of her outfit or the car either for that matter. Nice hairstyle, might try out something like that for myself. Another Japanese auto maker's offering:
Honda, with a car girl in a red bodycon mini with cutouts. Like the dress, though I'd like mine a little more form fitting. The bodycon road can be tough to travel since they're usually S, M, or L and it doesn't leave much room to drop down a size to get the right amount of stretch. More color coordination here. Next:
The old 'stang. This time a convertible though it makes no difference to me since I wouldn't buy either. The car girls in a leather jacket, booties, and tight black pants. Looks very conventional so maybe Ford's trying to convey a message of ordinaryness  to a car that's pretty ordinary to begin with. Bet a million dollars our - I mean partly my - '72 Nova hot rod would leave the 'stang to eat exhaust fumes. Yeah, still part owner of Buddy's hot rod - too much money in it already. Alright, what's next? Here:
Another convertible this time from Fiat. Has more in common with the 'stang than you'd think, though the model doesn't: nice dress! White bodycon with side strap details. I've noticed Italian auto companies seem to be a bit more daring, if they have a say so in their car girl choice. OK:
A Corvette. Looks like a IMSA, SCCA, or Le Mans type of thing going on here, non street legal. The car girl has a PU slim driver's jacket, grey bodycon dress and some fancy peep toe booties. A nice look.
Rounding things up:


The last three photos. Only one car girl, the one in the middle, advertising an Indy display. The girl at the top looks like she's taking some snapshots. Not sure her look would be what I'd do, though I wouldn't say it's horrid. She doesn't look very enthused about that Toyota. At the bottom is a guy and his girl, and the girl looks like she's wearing something like what I wore for New Year's. Which reminds me, I've got to get my New Year's photos up. My Christmas 2015 photos are on Picasa if you want to check those out, probably do a post about them in the future, nothing wrong with a late Christmas, so look for that.

Well. All of this gave me some ideas. If you're in Detroit you might want to give the auto show a look see.
Catchya later.
Ciao.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment